[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
 Pressluftjunkies.net • Thema anzeigen - Charlie I build
Aktuelle Zeit: 16. April 2024, 22:42

Forum gesperrtAntwort erstellen Seite 1 von 1   [ 13 Beiträge ]
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Charlie I build
BeitragVerfasst: 23. November 2011, 15:15 
Hello all

I am currently working on the plug for a 1:40 scale Charlie I (2.85 m long).

I have been experimenting with aluminium foil tape to create the anechoic tiles (please see picture - this tile pattern is only a test and not correct). It works really well and looks absolutely scale, even giving the uneven surface that occurs on the real subs.

However, I have concerns that I will not be able to wax the surface when creating a mould and therefore, the tiles will pull off when the mould is released, or worse still, the mould won't release!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you!
Chris

Dateianhänge:
P1010709.jpg
P1010709.jpg [ 83.36 KiB | 13371-mal betrachtet ]

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Charlie I build
BeitragVerfasst: 23. November 2011, 16:08 
Site Admin

Pressluftboote im Bau:
Hey Chris! Absolutly outstanding work! What a monster! You will make it. The tiles looks very real. I thougth about to make those tiles or plates with leadfoil. So you can scratch in or make rivet on the surface! Another bonus with lead is the realistic metal structure like your aluminium foil. Keep us informed about the Progress!

Best regards

Sascha

BeitragVerfasst: 23. November 2011, 17:00 
Hey Sascha, thanks for the kind words. I will keep you posted of course.

Best regards
Chris

BeitragVerfasst: 23. November 2011, 18:24 
Site Admin

Pressluftboote im Bau:
Hi Chris,

thanks for your post. This is really cool and quite new. I could imagine that you have concerns about the waxing. I would recommend that you wax the foil several times with care. Finally use a Film Release Agent (PVA - see link below). This film is extremly good because it prevent that the mold marry the master. It can be removed with water.

If the aluminum foil tape puffs off while releasing the mold, you can remove them quite easy with a pressure washer (Steamer). It worked out for our Beluga mold was well. The best thing you can do is a test. This will clearify any questions. It would be very disappointing if something went wrong just being lazy.

Good work! I appreciate that you share your progress with us.

Regards

Andy

Film Release Agent -

BeitragVerfasst: 24. November 2011, 10:29 
Hi Andy, good to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words... I am really happy with the way the aluminium tape works and how it recreates the detail, it looks so real – I will take a picture of a sample area at the weekend, when black, it is very convincing!

Thanks for the link – this stuff seems to be the product I have been hoping for..... once the tape has been in place for a few weeks, and rolled with a wallpaper wooden seam roller, it is very hard to remove (believe me, I speak from experience!!!). I may even try a test - painting a small area with superglue, very thinly, and see if this bonds the surface further.

I want to put as much surface detail onto the plug as I can (I have taken my inspiration from another German fellow called Harald Huff - check out his INCREDIBLE build www.su27.de). I thought about using litho plate and tried several areas, it works, but with the shape of the hull tapering in 3 dimensions, it tends to deform even when heated, so I chose the tape instead. It works better in my opinion.

I will put blank openings for the drains, intakes, limber holes, doors, hatches, etc then cut them out when moulded. It should work (as did Harald's complex build)!

One thing I have discovered, is that the tiles vary in shape/size/pattern on every sub.... they are NOT uniform. I will include this in my build.

I look forward to posting, as my project progresses. 8)

Cheers guys
Chris

BeitragVerfasst: 24. November 2011, 15:59 
Site Admin

Pressluftboote im Bau:
Chris, you build a Russian sub. So you don't have to be that accurate. Anyhow, I know the work of Harald Huff. It's outstanding. But they want to sell fuselages, so it is necessary to build those perfect molds. I our cases, normally, it make no sense to spend too much time in a master.

I really recomment to use that PVA film. It will make your day really easy!

Andy

BeitragVerfasst: 28. November 2011, 18:38 
Hey Andy.... ah yes, but its being built in Britain! :wink:

BeitragVerfasst: 28. November 2011, 19:07 
Site Admin

Pressluftboote im Bau:
And that means exactly what?

BeitragVerfasst: 28. November 2011, 19:44 
It means it will be thought about, talked about, then it will be shelved due to cuts in spending! (just like the aircraft carriers!!!) :mrgreen:

BeitragVerfasst: 28. November 2011, 21:59 
Site Admin

Pressluftboote im Bau:
Well, yes. But I still didn't get the Britain thing: "but its being built in Britain!" Maybe I ask the wrong way. I'm not sure, my english ist not the best at all!

Regards

Andy

BeitragVerfasst: 1. Mai 2012, 14:58 
Hello friends

A small update – I have spent the last few weeks cutting and sticking aluminium tiles onto the side of Charlie. The tiles should not be too regular and should have uneven spaces, just like the real thing. I may consider breaking a few or having the odd one missing.

Hope you like it.

Kind regards
Chris

Dateianhänge:
P1010798.jpg
P1010798.jpg [ 105.39 KiB | 12893-mal betrachtet ]
P1010805.jpg
P1010805.jpg [ 131.46 KiB | 12893-mal betrachtet ]

BeitragVerfasst: 1. Mai 2012, 16:03 
ps: I will need to add hatches, vents, doors etc as the detailing progresses, prior to making a mould.

Should be fun!

BeitragVerfasst: 1. Mai 2012, 18:06 
Site Admin

Pressluftboote im Bau:
Chris, this is "great cinema" :lol:

I'm glad to see the progress on this project.

Forum gesperrtAntwort erstellen Seite 1 von 1   [ 13 Beiträge ]